Proper-fitting sports shoes can enhance athletic performance and prevent injuries.
Tips for Finding the Correct Shoes:
- Try on athletic shoes after a workout or run, or at the end of the day. This is when your feet will be at their largest.
- Wear the same type of sock that you will wear for that sport.
- When the shoe is on your foot, you should be able to freely wiggle all of your toes.
- The shoes should be comfortable as soon as you try them on. You should not expect a break-in period.
- Walk or run a few steps in your shoes. They should be comfortable.
- Always re-lace the shoes you are trying on. You should begin at the farthest eyelets and apply even pressure as you criss-cross a lacing pattern to the top of the shoe. Modifying the lace pattern should be discussed with a shoe expert.
- There should be a firm grip of the shoe to your heel. Your heel should not slip as you walk or run.
- If you participate in a sport three or more times a week, you need a sport-specific shoe.
- Purchase your shoes from a store that has salespeople who are knowledgeable about athletic shoes and different foot types.